Role of communication in a relationship
Communication can be seen as the main foundation of human existence, as it is the key to interaction. A healthy relationship results from love, respect, and understanding between two people who may be friends, family, or partners. Therefore, communication helps you share your feelings, opinions, and expectations with the other person, which is essential to maintain trust, respect, and love. However, some must wonder “why is communication important in a relationship” as most of them have time restrictions due to busy and traumatic lives. However, they must realize that a liaison without communication is just two people. Communication is important in a relationship as it helps to:
- Know each other healthier
It may incorporate their likes/dislikes, morals, and values to create more acceptance for each other. Moreover, you would always be curious to know more about the one you love and build a strong bond.
- Avoid misunderstandings
The more you communicate, the more your loved ones get a chance to express their feelings and not compromise over things that can be resolved. As is commonly said, the struggle is a side effect of significant issues and unfortunate correspondence. It will take your relationship higher than ever, without a doubt.
- Individuals can characterize their objectives, necessities, and vision for their relationship.
- You can feel more connected in your relationship when you effectively share your feelings, opinions, and expectations.
- Sustain a long-term relationship
How to communicate in a relationship
The conversation is a two-way street; thus, it helps you avoid making assumptions and give yourself and the other person a chance to be open and transparent. Hence, here are some ways how to build communication in a relationship.
- Feel free to express
One can communicate what he/she is experiencing and your needs without any fear of rejection, upsetting, or losing your partner, family member, or friend. Once those feelings are out in the open, you can work together towards solving problems. Negative emotions have to be resolved before they do permanent damage.
- Be transparent
Never assume your partner to know everything. One has to know how to feel, be understood and valued, and give the other person the same chance.
- Think about the appropriate timings
The right time will help you resolve the problems even better as you will be better connected. It is better to have difficult conversations and conflicts in the morning to avoid unhealthy arguments due to stress.
- Choose language carefully
Must not use ‘you’; instead, use I or we. Also, don’t be abusive or verbally aggressive under any circumstances. It will make your partner defensive and unwilling to resolve problems.
- Focus on both being heard and tuning in with everything inside of you
You must be an active listener and validate others’ feelings by seeing things from your partner’s perspective.
- Be careful
Stay in the moment, whether good or bad. You must not give your partner a chance to be disrespected by being under-heard. It helps you flexibly process what your partner is saying by showing sensitivity to the context, being open to multiple opinions, and understanding things in new ways.
- Be patient and calm
If you want your relationship to be healthy, one must not focus on blaming the other person and rather be accepting and make compromising and resolution to be the goal. Being aggressive or defensive will leave you arguing over the surface problems. You must never forget that patience is an aspect of love. A patient person is the one who values their relationship more than self. Don’t worry; You are not compromising on yourself when you set your boundaries.
- Solicit open-ended questions
Asking questions is another role of communication in a relationship. It will give your partner an opportunity to express their feelings and expectations. There must be questions that give you a better understanding, such as:
- What did you learn from the relationship?
- How to improve communications in a relationship?
- How do you deal with difficult emotions and behavior?
- In what ways have you changed over the past two years?
But there are also questions not to be asked, as your partner may feel blamed like:
- Why are you always doing that?
- Are you sure you want to be with me?
- Why do you always hurt me?
- Why do you never do things as I say?
Certain aspects on how to communicate better in a relationship must also be considered:
- Don’t communicate through text
Important and sensitive issues must be discussed face to face as one’s body language help to give more clarity about their thoughts. Therefore, always pay attention to non-verbal signs. Texting is the lowest possible form of communication. Someone can forget to reply, and you may assume that the person is ignorant or may even assume they died. Thus, it may ruin the most committed relationship for you.
- Ask them if they talk this way, speak in this tone or make eye contact; that can be helpful. Your efforts will let you have better communication with your partner.
- Apply the 48-hour rule
This rule states that if your partner’s certain action upsets you or makes you angry and you are unsure of bringing it up, you must wait for at least 48 hours. If you are still being bothered, then go and express your feelings.
- A lack of awareness has to be avoided to improve communication in a relationship. Lack of awareness primarily means that the person fails to understand his feelings and how to display their behavior. This leads to experiencing more negative emotions in your relationship as you can’t better align your choices.
- Routinely check in as the day progressed
- Leave beautiful quotes for your partners
The role of communication in a relationship must not be doubted as “communication to a relationship is like water to plants.” But, one must not ignore the red flags in a relationship which can only be observed via communication and can bring the end of a toxic relationship. These red flags can be :
- Unnecessary jealousy- Being jealous in a relationship is natural, but if it starts to suffocate the other person, it has to be the end.
- Regularly lying
- Over criticizing you and discouraging your confidence
- Frequent lying
- Not willing to compromise. A relationship should not be one-sided.
If the importance of communication in relationships is acknowledged by both the partners, a healthy and loving relationship would last forever; therefore, if you ask “how to have a better communication in a relationship, “the answer would be “communication can work for those who work for it.”
Download on the Appstore
Get it on Google Play