“Nobody wants to fail, but anybody who fails to plan has planned to fail.”
Are there some things that you never want to forget? What is the need to mark down a letter to your future self? Does it seem dizzy and babyish? But in actuality, this practice can add more merits to your life. It’s the best way of jotting down your wish list to your future self, which also jogs your memory of you as a person today versus who you want to be in the Future. This practice paves away in the right direction and also to limit life’s biggest regrets.
Do you want to meet Real you? Then, it’s writing a Letter to Your Future Self.
Why is it a good idea?
Reality check. As we live, many essential tasks and agendas slip out of our minds. At times, we stumble, which we don’t want to reappear, but over time, we lose the thread about them and step on the same slope. This letter will be a fact check, assist you to pose some key queries, and see if you are leaping forward in the right path.
Self-reflection. It is the key to self –awareness. A large chunk of well known and eminent people had a journal. They were active in self-reflection a lot, theorized, and improved their lives. Following a similar example, you’ll embark on a new personal level.
Time-machine. Your diaries/letters are like time-machines. With the passage of time as and when you read them, you engulf into that past realness where you are suddenly that juvenile, inexperienced and happy. And you will notice how much you have evolved since that time. Whether it makes you grin or shed a tear, it will be a priceless experience. The letter reminds you of something relevant and crucial. Life always keeps you on your toes. So, the top most key matters and dreams to people might get backlashed. This letter will help you recollect what should be on the top of the priority list.
How to Write a Letter to Yourself
Follow the steps if you have don’t know where to start for the letter.
1. Pose questions to yourself.
- What lessons have I absorbed thus far? Life along the way has given you some valuable lessons to act upon the morals of those lessons.
- What were the achievements? Who was there to assist me? How did I show Gratitude? In the race of achieving the next goal, we forget to be happy and thank those near and dear ones who helped you reach the peak.
- Am I content? Perhaps, one of the main concerns. Everyone wants to be at peace, and sometimes we forget to stop for a second and enjoy it.
- What is my priority? This question will make you reformulate your ethics. Sometimes, some critical things might go down a step, so it is a useful idea to reflect on this.
- Am I spending enough time on my priorities? Mulling over this question will help you see if you give adequate heed to your life’s vital matters.
- Do I look after my health and myself? You must respect your body. Please treat it with dignity and meeting its basic needs.
2. Pen down your present virtues.
- Choose topics about your principles and beliefs in such areas of life as:
- Finance & Money.
3. Specify activities that need restructuring in the Future.
- The above point is the essential part of your letter, which will help you scrutinize your life reality and modify you into a more beautiful being.
- What things to reminisce?
- What are my aims for the Future?
- How to custom my routine to be healthier?
- What relationships need more scrutiny, and which ones need to end?
- What should I remove from my life? What should I add to my life?
Set aside Your Letter With a Future Open Date
Store your letter so that you will not be eager to read it before its time, but also in a way that it’s enduring. The best practice is to put it into a sealed envelope with the open date boldly marked. Then, you can set an indication on the calendar of the exact time when you want to unseal it.
How much should be the waiting period long to unseal the letter or the diary? That depends on yourself. It can be anything between one year until five years. Every five years, you could also make a plan to write a new letter.
The whole exercise of penning down a letter to your future self is an enjoyable exercise and an experience that lets you reflect on your current life as well as set goals for an ideal future. Even though it’s a simple exercise, you should take it seriously to get the most out of it.